Friday, August 13, 2010

My Sons Birth Story... as my mind remembered it, a month after he was born (in 07)

I'm deleting my myspace stuff and came across this story and thought that i should keep it, so i put it here in my blog :)

don't' think me a wimp...

..> ..>
Last Sunday (sept 23), I'd been contracting off and on for weeks, well, when i woke up, i started having more.. i thought nothing of it, as even when they start out at 4 minutes apart, within a few hours they move to 5 then 7 then 9 then 15, etc.. well, i got ready and we went to church.. after a half an hour, i was like, hmm, maybe i had better start timing them again.. so i did, had some that were 5 some that were 4 and some that were 2 minutes apart, none lasting less than a minute or so. so, after an hour of being at church, i whispered that we should go get checked "just in case" but they'll just send me home doing nothing as usual.

I was SO close to saying, lets get some food first, as we'll probably be there at least an hour, but, i didn't' (who knows why) and we got there, they got my info, i saw the ONE doc that was really nice to me (he was the on call doc) and then they said they were cleaning a room and had me go wait in the waiting room... so, at least a half an hour later, they finally came and got me.

i got in the room, did the normal stuff and got hooked up finally. they showed some contractions, but they were already spacing themselves. doc came in and said if anythings changing, we'll get transport arranged to go to Syracuse. well, i FINALLY had done some progressing. i was previously 2 and 50 and was finally 3 and 75. so, he says we'll arrange transport, and before they take you, I'll check you again, if you aren't a 5 yet, we'll send you down, if you are, then we'll keep you. Then they sent someone from the ICU department up with a machine, hand held telemetry... the one thing that made me have to deliver in Syracuse, cause they "couldn't do it there" grrr

Then the contractions started getting harder... and closer. i ended up asking for something for the pain (yes, I'm a wuss!!) they checked me again and i was 4 and 75, they got my iv put in and started antibiotics (for my heart) and then gave me 10mg of Nubian. IMMEDIATELY, i got sillier than the mad hatter. I felt SO much better. but the doc made the mistake of saying that i could have a Popsicle and then was gone for almost 20 minutes... well, after 5, all you heard from me was where is it? where is my Popsicle...lol... he came back in to say that the transport service was finally there, and all i could say is you forgot my Popsicle. He says, oops, i did, didn't' i?

So i got my Popsicle and they moved me to the ambulance bed. they made me stay on my side (blah) for the horribly bumpy ride down, needless to say, so much for the Popsicle i had. (eww)

I got to Syracuse, they checked me in, got me hooked up and my contractions had slowed down some. Liz was waiting for me when i got there, but since i sent hubby back home for some things, he and Lizzie hadn't' made it there yet (of course), so she stayed with me for a while. (thank you again so much!!) they checked me and i was a "tight 5" and 50%.. WHY?? lol....

(things are already getting fuzzy from this point on) i remember i started getting stronger contractions after this and asked for some Nubian again. they don't' give that down there and said they'd see what they could give me. forever and a day later, they came back said they had to do research on what they could give me that wouldn't' react badly to the Nubian. so, i got a shot of demmoral and phenegrin (half in the bootay and half in my IV). NOT fun... I puked again from that.

by the "end" of the night, i was STILL a 5 and 50% (according to them) Still contracting, still hurting, i continued through the night. and in the morning... Someone came in and said they would start pitossin at 10 (they hadn't' decided what they would do the night before, whether keep me or send me home) so, i asked if i could be unhooked to shower and take a few laps around the floor. got my wish granted, did that.

at 10, they came, changed out my IV. i asked when they would start the pit, and they said it was already started. i was like, oh okay. they started it at 6ml... and every 15-30 minutes they came in and upped it. I ate jello ( they didn't' tell me i could have jello the day before) after jello, just to " have something on my stomach" as they wouldn't' let me have anything other than "clear fluids"

well, by the time it was pushed up to 90ml, i was dying. Crying, screaming, the whole spill... they came in and checked me and guess what?? 5 and 50%!! it had been a LONG day and i was miserable and NO change, i was pissed off and in pain and tired and hungry and mad! the one nurse was going to have mercy on me and turned off the pit, and was going to get me stadol (yes the THIRD narcotic....) so, she went to get the stadol and turned off the pit, after i got the stadol, then someone else came in and said no, put it back on, we're going to break her water in a bit. at this point, i am MAD... i tell them, give me the epidural first, i really don't' want you to break my water, i can't have a c-section, I'm a heart patient (DUH!!) and am NOT supposed to have this! plus, i was under the impression (from the peri) that i wasn't' supposed to have to have too much pain, as that was not good for me.... little did i know they didn't' give a hoot!

so, the nurse turned the pit back on, but put it back to 60ml. but the contractions and pain didn't' stop, the stadol did NOTHING for me but made me super loopy when there was no contraction and just as much pain when there was. so, i went from loooooooooooooopy to screaming... i dunno how long i was like that, they came in and broke my water... that was weird.. my water didn't' break like that with Lizzie, i had a slow leak... it almost hurt, felt like they stuck that thing waaaaaaaaaay to my ribcage.... i told them i had to pee. They said in a minute, and when i sat up for them to do my epidural, water gushed and i peed too (at least i think i did... i was very confused at this time and was like, i peed, but its a lot, there's a puddle on the floor (which got bigger and bigger with each contraction)

SO, i finally got my epidural.... the numbing shot HURTS, lol. but they got it in without too much trouble, and as i got the first part of it, it all went to one leg, then some got to the other leg, but my right was defiantly more numb than my left, so i had to lay on my left side. this was probably about 730.... maybe a little later. they checked me again, i was 6 and 80% (bout stinking time!! lol)

they all left my room and hubby and i turned on the tv, it was first night for new shows, so hubby saw how i met your mother, i asked them to turn my bed so i could see it, they did but lectured me and said they'd have to move it back when it was time to deliver (DUH!) lol. the new show "big bang theory" started next, i felt the weirdest contraction it was finally number than the other ones where i was still holding the bed rail and crying (yes with the epi) but something was happening. i banged on the nurse buzzer and said somethings' going on, there is way more pain and pressure and someone needs to get in here. eventually (probably 5-10 minutes later) someone came in and said its the baby moving down, when you are having more steady pain we'll check you.. that ticked me off again - are you serious???

so, next contraction, it was there and wasn't' going away. I banged on teh nurse call button again and said someone needs to come in here NOW. so, after another waiting period, someone came and i said LOTS of pressure and pain! so they turned me over to my back check and said a baby's coming. they moved my bed back, we turned off the tv and i began the biggest marathon of pushing ever.

Several times i said i couldn't' do it, i screamed and because i was doing that, it wasn't pushing. when he was starting to crown, they had me reach down and feel (that was weird!) and i pushed and pushed and pushed, his head finally came out, but then his shoulders were next. i pushed and pushed and pushed and pushed and pushed and pushed and they finally came out, then i had to push again to get that belly out! lol. two pushes later, he was born. They laid him on my chest. he was pale, so i started rubbing him like they showed on tv. they let me do that for a minute or so, then took him to the warmer. they roughly rubbed him and started to get him to pink up and finally give a weak cry. they kept it up and he finally got mad and made a strong cry.

I got him back a few minutes later after they checked for tears and got the placenta out. No tears, no cuts! And he nursed... and nursed, and nursed, lol. for an hour!

So, my little 7lb 19 inch guy wanted out then took his time, but he's here and loved very much.

sorry it took me a while to write this, and sorry that it took so long to write it! (i actually left out more!) thanks for reading.

No comments: